Thursday 3 July 2014

Repairing & restoring Gilded Parcel Mirror

























I restored this beautiful Gilded Parcel Mirror. You can see the original condition in the  middle photograph. You can see the white gessoed areas in the bottom photo. These show all the areas I replaced by casting from the original mouldings. Particularly the bottom one was in poor condition with most of it missing. 

I haven't seen such a glorious mirror for a long time. My client kindly wrote:


"Clare has just finished our cushion mirror, it looks just as I imagined it would, all the missing bits are either replaced or remade and the whole rather delicate structure is solid and touchable, but not over gilded.  My husband remembers it from the war years at his grandmother's and says it has never looked so good."

No comments:

Post a Comment